A laptop at home means that you need to be aware of what problems it might pose usually. Ignorance on your part may be exploited by those who fix the computer. So, let us look at the 8 commonest laptop problems faced by consumers:
1. Computer not switching on:
- Check whether all the cables are plugged in and switches are turned on properly.
- Check whether the monitor is turned on and is properly plugged into the computer.
- Change the fuse in the cable to rule out the chances of a short circuit.
- Check your extension cord if using one. Try a different known working socket since sometimes the problem could be external and change power lead.
- Check whether any button or switch is stuck and correct it.
- The battery may be incorrectly installed and giving power problems. Check the battery and to be fully sure, take out the computer from the power socket, remove the battery, press the power button on the laptop and wait for 5 seconds. Replace the battery and plug in the power adapter. Switch on the computer. This should fix your laptop. But, in case, these don’t work, take it to your comp expert.
2. Computer is muted/speakers are not working:
- First thing is to check whether your speakers are on and plugged in properly.
- Check that the speaker is connected to the right port (Green to Green) because only then the audio blasts out of the speakers.
- Check if the volume of the computer is turned up or if it is at the minimum level which would keep it muted as a rule!
- Check if you have muted the speakers in the taskbar and unmute it if you have.
3. Monitor screen is blank:
- Check if the monitor is correctly connected, plugged in and turned on.
4. Laptop turns off without warning signs:This happens due to the following reasons:
- A faulty AC adaptor was not being able to take in the right amount of power
- Processor getting overheated.
- There is a sudden increase in the power voltage getting into the adaptor which turns off the laptop automatically to safeguard it.
- The battery in the system getting heated up.
5. Booting problems:Make sure there are no CDs or DVDs in your laptop drive when you start your computer. This is the most common cause of the message, “Invalid system disk, Reboot drive.”
6. One of the drives is missing from the computer window:If you turn on the computer and find that the CD-ROM or any other removable drive is missing from the computer window, it may be because of corrupt software or a failed drive.
7. Slow internet:
- Reboot your router and restart your computer (reboot router by unplugging and plugging back in after 5 minutes)
- Check for malware and spyware infections. Check for problems with your provider
- Check other reasons for slow internet
8. Battery gets drained out:If your operating system has power options in its settings, then check if you have a card device like the graphic card which pulls in a lot of power. The more you spend your time with the laptop, the more confident you will become of handling such situations. So, do not panic when your laptop is sick. Get over it with self-help and if it doesn’t give you results, you could always go to a pro!
The laptop has over the years evolved and ensured that we take a step ahead towards digitalization conveniently. Easy to carry, convenient to use, a laptop is indispensable in modern human life. However, every once in a while, if not vigilant, there arises a situation when the laptop’s battery is almost drained out without a power source in reach. In that scenario, if you are in the middle of getting some important work done, it becomes imperative to keep in mind the ways enlisted below to extract a little more out of your laptop’s battery life.
- Battery saver mode: All laptops are designed with this feature, which, when activated, adjusts the background component settings in such a way that the power consumption is minimized.
- Unused devices and accessories: All the components running within or attached to the laptop need power to perform. To save power, unplug some of the accessories and unused devices that take up much of the precious battery life. Detach any USB mouse, external hard disk drives not immediately being used. Devices such as Bluetooth, wireless network, graphic processors and optical drives are major power drainers that could be disabled, if not in use.
- Brightness, resolution and sound settings: 100% screen brightness and high resolution are not always required, especially when the battery life is dwindling. Adjusting the brightness to a comfortable minimum, say 50% and the screen resolution to 1366 by 768, enables you to work a little longer. Muting the laptop would also buy some time while not affecting the work at hand.
- Applications and processes: Multiple apps and processes keep running in the background that we mostly ignore. Checking the Task Manager and the Processes Tab helps us identify those that can be turned off without the system’s performance being affected.
- Single Tasking: Most often, we tend to multitask with many windows open at the same time. However, it would be prudent to work on a single task at a time to save power.
- Battery Care: Many of us are unaware of the way the laptop battery can be cleaned and maintained. Efficient power flow gets affected if the metal contacts where the battery is nestled in the system get dirty or damaged. Alcohol and cotton would instantly clean away the dirt from the contacts, but professional help is required to repair damaged contacts.
- Defragmentation of hard disk drive: Defragmentation(organized file storage) of hard disk drive,if done every couple of months,enables the system to spend lesser time searching for files. This would, in turn, strain less on the battery power.
- RAM: RAM helps the system to use computer memory as opposed to the hard disk drive for running program instructions. So a greater amount of RAM can help you save more power.
- Battery charging: A battery, when charged up to 85% instead of full, performs well and reduces long run battery degradation.
- Optimum conditions: Finally, working in optimum temperature helps keep the system cool and well-lit room helps reduce screen brightness, enabling lower pull on the battery life.
Is the power supply to your laptop not right? You may not know always beforehand that it is faulty or failing, but there are definitely some signs that will indicate that your laptop power supply is faulty.
1. Frequent crashes and instability:Watch the signs when your laptop crashes. Does it crash when hard or optical drives start back up during booting up or when you load a game with a detailed sequence? These activities need more power supply and when it causes crashing, and then your power supply might be faulty. Also, be aware of random reboots and lockups that cause instability in the machine as they may also be due to a faulty power supply.
2. Strange noises/odour or smoke:Are you hearing strange noises in your laptop? Check from where these noises emit, if it is close to the area of the power supply, then it may be faulty. Also, check for signs of the sound of the fan. Is it too loud or very quiet? That might also be an indicator of a faulty power supply. Sometimes the wires inside the power supply cord can burn and can emit a strange odour like a smell of chemicals or something burning. In some instances, if smoke emits out of the power supply, then it needs to be replaced immediately before something extreme like bursting or blow out happens.
3. Nothing happens when you switch on the computer,:When nothing happens when you switch on the computer, then it may be a power supply problem. Because even if a laptop is broken, when the power supply is good, there will be some indication it is turning on like the fan running, or the LED indicator turning up. But if it remains dead when everything is alright, then it will be a power supply fault. Get it checked with a technical professional.
4. Laptop turns off automatically or battery won’t charge:Everything seems to be operating right, but all of a sudden if your laptop frequently switches off or if the battery does not charge even after removing it and putting it back, then the power supply needs to be checked. When the power supply area is hotter than usual or if it emits wrong voltage than required, the laptop will turn off frequently or it might switch on for a few seconds before going blank.
5. Intermittent display of blue screen of death:Are you constantly seeing an intermittent display of the Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) on your laptop? It is usually due to a critical error and sometimes due to software crashes or faulty hardware. But when all seems fine, it may be due to a faulty power supply. The laptop power supply can be faulty sometimes when you don’t use the right charger for your laptop. Try not to buy ‘Universal’ power adapters as they may not suit all models. Also, as soon as you suspect a fault in your power supply replace them as soon as possible, as a delay might lead to bigger laptop failures
Laptops can get slow over a period of time. They require regular maintenance and care. As you use the system, the system becomes slow due to many reasons. When the laptop is new it quickly boots up because the memory is free and capable. But once you start using, you install many software and load much data. This will reduce the speed of the laptop. As you start browsing and perform other functions on the laptop, the junk data gets stored. All the waste needs to be cleared on a regular basis to maintain a perfect system. Here is some popular system maintenance software you can install to keep your laptop running smoothly.
Disk CleanerDisk cleaner software will repair and defragment your device to help it function smoothly and efficiently. There is a possibility of error files getting stored in the laptop. They need to be removed to help the laptop function efficiently. Utilities like disk cleaners are coded to help in deletion of the unnecessary files. These files are generally stored as junk files in temporary internet folders. Erasing these files on a regular basis should be performed to free up space on the drives. This software can fix minor bugs and provide an improved task scheduler
Antivirus SoftwareAntivirus software protects the laptop from hacker attacks and other bugs. This software detects and removes bugs that could have entered the laptop while you browse the internet. An anti-virus program checks for errors at regular intervals and always scans every webpage for virus, spyware and malware. The program will immediately send an alert if there is any malicious activity.
System meterThe laptop system needs to be monitored for performance. There are efficient system meters designed that help fulfill the above criteria. These various meter software help in checking how much disk space is utilized, what is the amount of free space available, how the CPU of the machine is being used, the network traffic usage and other specifications.
Battery toolsThe battery is the essential component of the laptop. It needs to be regularly checked for performance. To maintain battery health, ensure you charge up your battery only after it is fully drained. Users can choose from different battery performance software. There are different versions and compositions of the battery software that you can compile and install on your system. There is software that tests for the load on the battery when it is put to usage. This software tests in all the modes of operation- Normal battery set-up and Energy saving mode. Some software aid in constructing a detailed graph on how the battery power changes. It helps optimize laptop performance.
CPU testerCPU maintenance software will monitor and record the work done by the CPU. These even provide a report if there are programs that are not functioning properly as designed. These help in maintaining the stability of the CPU as well as checking the motherboard for errors. Some software also provides speed tests reports for the CPU.
The world has become so dependent on technology that everything seems to be done online. Be it payment of bills or playing online games on a gaming laptop. It could also be simple reading on the kindle app. Housewives these days too seem to spend a lot of time for various reasons ranging from research work for children’s school projects or catching up on television serials that they might have missed. While the ‘work’ computer has its own features needed to suit organizational rules, the home computer is usually for fun. So basically it all boils down to how we use these devices today more than anything else. Here are a few things to consider when buying a laptop for home use.
Laptop weightHome use laptops tend to be mobile and are carried around from room to room. So an ideal laptop would be a machine that is fairly weightless and easy to carry around the house. A slim design seems perfect for easy portability both within the residence or for a quick trip to the coffee shop close by.
MemoryTypically home use laptops are used to watch movies, videos, etc. There is also a tendency to download videos music and movies on the home laptop, hence storage is critical. Of course, one can also make do with limited storage if there is an external storage device available for backup. The adequate number of ports will be a factor to consider. Not just for USB but also speakers if needed. Most laptops are manufactured with a hard drive with between 250 GB and 1 TB.
EntertainmentDVD and CD players come inbuilt in all laptops. It plays an important role in the life of a housewife who wants to catch up with the latest movies but might not want to download them from the net. For gamers, a gaming laptop is a solid, although slightly more expensive choice. Make sure you do your research and you can often find a great deal for less than 1000 dollars. Just make sure you do your research so you find the Best Gaming Laptops under $1000 .
Processor speedA high-end processor is not the need of the day when it comes to laptops for home use. Nothing can feel worse than a slow system, though. So a dual-core processor, which enables efficient operation of multiple windows, would be preferable.
Screen sizeTo ensure the ability to watch a movie with ease and not have put pressure on the eyes, a screen as big as 14 inches would be ideal.
Screen protectorThis is to ensure that the eyes do not get strained while reading or watching movies. Many laptops come with an anti-glare display.
Adequate portsBe it for some solitary time with headphones or family fun with an external speaker, there is always need for multiple ports in a laptop. So too is the case with USB ports. It’s always useful to have 2 or 3, so you can plug in a mouse and a pen drive at the same time.
ConnectivityWireless network is an essential part of the laptop. If a modem is not available at any point due to power shortage, a port is needed to attach a mobile internet connection such as 4g. Bluetooth can also be used to transfer files from the laptop to a mobile phone and vice versa.
SummaryNo matter if you want an affordable gaming laptop or just a lightweight laptop for watching movies, now you know what you need to look for in the hunt for the perfect laptop for you. Enjoy finding the perfect laptop.
This will be a pretty basic article, but if you just started using your laptop, then this will be a great way to learn about the additional programs you need to have. So, what is Software? Basically, software is the instruction or data required to run any program on the computer. Every laptop comes with basic software applications like a simple text editor. But apart from the most basic applications, your laptop needs a few more must for optimum capacity. Let us learn about these must have software application in details:
- Anti-virus software: The first and the foremost application your laptops needs is the anti-virus software. With so many potential viruses, your laptop needs protection and anti-virus software does the needful. It prevents your laptop from malware infections, online threats, social media threats, phishing scams, and unwanted pop-up advertisements. Once you have installed this software, you can relax as you are safe from all types of viruses. This software scans and detects any threat to your computer with its timely scans.
- Anti-Spyware / Anti-Malware Software: Did you know that there are potential hackers waiting to steal data from your computer? This software is a must for every laptop as there is so much risk of data being hacked by hackers. It does not take a hacker long to figure out your bank account details and personal data. Your computers security should be your first priority. In this case, an anti-spyware software comes to your rescue. This software helps to detect suspicious file behavior. The best part of this software is that while it’s scanning the data, it does not hamper your laptop speed.
- Browser Software: A so called web browser enables you to open, read and access the internet. There are web browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, and Opera. The best web browser should be fast, safe and be compatible with your operating system. It should be user-friendly and should be able to load fast. This web browser software application also gives customized toolbar, search engine, and bookmarks. You can also open multiple browsers at a single time. Though no browser is safe and does pose a threat for identity theft and malware attacks, there are some browsers that do have advanced security features. This coupled with your anti-virus and common snse will prevent potentially harmful websites from damaging or hacking your system.
- Acrobat PDF: PDF is also known as Portable Document Format invented by Adobe. This software is basically used for downloading word documents, merging or splitting documents, watermarking the documents or just simply read them. PDF documents can be sent anywhere just like an email. You can edit and share the PDF file contents. Many businesses prefer this software application as they have to deal with documents on daily basis. This software is compatible with any operating system.
The graphic card is an essential component of PC and laptop, as it provides better display and picture output. It is a plug-in device that enhances the available display features. It connects to the motherboard via PCI/AGP slots. Without adding an external graphic card, the system would utilize the inbuilt video display drivers for display optimization.
Purpose of Graphic cardsThe basic and primary function of a graphics card is to obtain video information from laptop processor and convert them into electronic signals. The monitor, in turn, receives them and decodes it into quality pictures that can be displayed. The minimum configuration of graphic card required for any laptop is usually built into the motherboard. However, this can provide just the basic display features. The graphic cards come with their own set of memory called VRAM. The card utilizes this for handling video information. This reduces the utilization of laptop’s RAM and hence enables the machine to perform faster.
Adding graphics card to your laptopThe chances of requiring a graphic card upgrade for your laptop is pretty slim these days. The reason is obvious. The majority of today’s laptops come equipped with GPU [Graphical processing Unit]. The GPU is attached to the laptop motherboard, so upgrading a graphic card would mean replacing the entire motherboard. It’s as good as buying a new laptop. The viable alternative would be to include external graphic card through the USB port. However, this cannot be used for gaming purposes which require extreme quality graphics. By plugging in an external graphic card through USB port, one can make use of either built in screen or an external display like monitor or HDMI.
Brand dependencyThe possibility to upgrade the graphic card in a laptop also depends on the brand and model of the laptop in question. Certain laptop models provide the updating option. However, majority of laptop devices in the market are NOT upgradable.
Specification BenchmarksSince it is not always possible to update the graphic card once the laptop is purchased, one must exercise caution in selecting the proper GPU configuration while deciding on the laptop. The specifications required would depend on four deciding factors. They are:
- RAM of the laptop
- Required video clarity
- Gaming requirements
- 3D viewing necessities
- Supported resolution
- Video card memory
- Refresh rate in your favorite game with the graphic card